PPCC 2019 FAQ
How long does the competition run for?
- The case will be released on Monday 13 May at 9am Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) and submissions are due on Sunday 19 May at 12pm AEST, giving you just under a week to work on your presentation.
- Successful Victorian participants will be invited to present at the University of Melbourne or Monash University heats, both held on Monday 20 May from 6pm.
- Successful interstate participants will be contacted to make alternative arrangements.
- You can register to compete right up until the case closes on Sunday May 19.
How many rounds are in the competition?
- TThere are two official rounds of presentations in PPCC. Students must submit their responses in the form of a slide deck (saved in PDF format) by 12pm AEST on Sunday May 19.
- The top submissions will then be invited to present at heats to deliver their response in a 15 minute presentation, with a 10 minute question & answer section from a panel of judges.
- The top teams from heats will then progress through to the National Finals at the University of Melbourne where they will present with the same format.
Are there restrictions to the slide deck submission?
- Yes, slide decks must be no larger than 10 slides in total excluding title, transition and appendix slides.
Where and when do I submit our slide deck?
- Email [email protected] by 12pm AEST on Sunday May 19.
How many people can register as a team?
- Teams should consist of 2-4 people. You can register as a team here.
Can I register by myself?
- If you would like to register by yourself, you may complete the form as an individual.
- We will then match you with a group of individuals a few days prior to the commencement of case week. We will communicate this information to you via email addresses that you used to register.
Can interstate or international teams register?
- As long as you are a current undergraduate or postgraduate student at an Australian university.
- We highly encourage interstate teams to register, and teams that are successful in progressing to the finals will have their flights to Melbourne and accommodation for the duration of the finals covered by the Economics Students Society of Australia.
Can teams be made up of members from different states?
- Yes! Students are welcome to have team members from different states. If successful in progressing to the National Finals, interstate team members will be flown to Melbourne for the Finals presentation.
I’m only enrolled at a university for semester 1, can I still participate?
- As long as you are an enrolled university student at the time of the competition, you are welcome to participate in the Public Policy Case Competition.
When will we be notified if we were successful in progressing through to heats?
- You will be informed on the afternoon of Sunday May 19. There will be no opportunity to alter the slide decks between email submission and heat presentations if you are successful.
When will we be notified if we were successful in progressing through to finals?
- You will be informed on the evening of Monday May 20. There will be a short window between the Heats and Finals to alter the slide decks to incorporate any of the judge’s feedback or improve the existing slide deck submission.
Who will be judging the heats and finals?
- Both heats and finals will be judged by representatives from our sponsoring partners including the Victorian Government’s Department of Treasury and Finance, Strategy&, AlphaBeta, Deloitte Access Economics, Frontier Economics, Aither, academics and our affiliates. Please note that judges may vary between the Heats and Finals.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the first year prize?
- All team members must be in the first year of the of their undergraduate degree. If the first-year team is successful in placing 1st in the National Finals, they will also receive the Overall Prize in addition to the First-Years Prize.
I have a question that hasn’t yet been answered. Help me.
Email us at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as we can!
To keep up to date with the latest news and updates regarding PPCC see our Facebook event.